Thursday, February 23, 2012

how are you?

My new answer is: "I'm okay because 'I can do anything through Christ, who gives me strength.'" Philippians 4:13

Today's picture is from the same mini-vacation as yesterday's.  We are eating at Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis.  Not the best picture, but I tried.  We would enjoy each getting a fancy drink and sharing them whenever we would go to a place like this... Even though the drink was usually more than the cheeseburger we ordered for our meal.  We were good for cheeseburgers and fancy drinks.  Gosh we had a lot of fantastic times.  Like I have said before, I am so sad that there will be no more; however, I am ecstatically happy that I got to experience all of those moments with him.

I stayed in bed all day today except for when I came to the couch about a half hour ago.  I have some sort of sinus crap going on... It is really icky, perhaps I will go in tomorrow if I don't feel any better in the morning. 

I'm going to get up and go out tonight for a worship night at church, I'm really excited to soak it in.  Cindy will be here in about an hour to pick me up, I suppose I should brush my hair and get dressed. 

A neighbor that I never met, but Joe did, came over today to express his condolences and give me his and his fiance's phone numbers, in case I need anything.  He works out of town and is gone for a month at a time, and said he just got back and heard.  That was sweet and comforting, they are right across the street in case I have any immediate needs.

Have you seen Footloose?  Do you remember when he is presenting to the city council and he reads from the Bible about there being a time to dance?  It was also made into a song... Well, I want to share the beginning of that section: "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.  A time to be born and a time to die."  Ecclesiastes 3:1-2  As hard as this is to swallow, it is the truth.  Going through all of the "what if"s and "why me"s and even thinking about people that wouldn't have left so many things behind, just puts us deeper into a dark hole.  People may try to say "I just keep thinking, why couldn't it have been so-and-so, he wouldn't be a good father, and Joe really would have been."  Dark thoughts like that are not actually comforting... Maybe for a second I agree, but it is not the truth, and it is unhealthy.  We have been told, there is a time to be born and a time to die - we do not get to choose those times.

Isaiah 40:31 describes what I am living for and holding on to: "But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.  They will soar high on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint."

Facebook actually had something I enjoyed and thought it really related to me...

Just because I laugh a lot, doesn't mean my life is easy.
Just because I have a smile on my face every day, doesn't mean that something is not bothering me.
I just choose to move on, and not dwell on all the negatives in my life.
Every new moment gives me the chance to renew anew.
I choose to be that.

I have some guilt when I laugh, smile, and try to move on... but I can't do that to myself.

Through your trials, what do you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment