Sunday, April 22, 2012

baptism

This is the first time I have been alone since Friday - I thought I would like it, but I still get sad every time I walk in the house alone, realizing Joe isn't in bed, on the couch, or in the garage waiting for me with a smile, hug, and kiss.  I am so overcome with emotion lately, and I know it is a combination of things; however, I know one ginormous piece of that is my thankfulness for God's love, peace, and joy.  In worshiping God either at the conference, in church, or at baptism, there are some lyrics that make me weep.  I weep in sadness as well as gladness.  Lyrics such as "thought my world will fall I'll never let you go" bring me to tears - my world has fallen, and I'm not letting go of God, and he is not letting go of me.

We had a baptism service at church tonight, and it was great.  The Lord is doing amazing things in people's lives, including my sister Peggy's significant other, Wes & Madi's dad, Jake!  Wow, it is so evident in his life that he is a new creation through Christ, living his life for him.  Praise the Lord!

Baptism is a one time declaration to a lifelong dedication - it does not save us, but shows we are saved.

Two meaningful pieces of scripture I took away from the service tonight.

Hebrews 12:1-3
God’s Discipline Proves His Love

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.  Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.  Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up.

 2 Timothy 1:7

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

 learning about what it means to be husband and wife... we were so ready, so excited, and had a great almost seven months of it together ... mu & lu so much Joe

2 Peter 1:3   By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment