Wednesday, March 21, 2012

one year without my dad

June 2010 (after Andrea's graduation)  |  VFW  |  Winona
This was one of the many very happy moments in my life, and I thank God for this memory.  My two men, singing karaoke together - what a perfect life!  I don't remember what song this was, but probably "Some Beach" or "You Never Call Me By My Name".  Dad also sang "My Ding-a-Ling," he loved being goofy.  I like looking at each of their stances, and seeing the difference in generational body language.  Joe was by my side every moment when we first lost dad, we stayed in Andrea's room at Cindy's house for at least two weeks, and then moved in with my mom until we bought our house in June.  In anticipation of this day, of course, I always imagined Joe being right by my side again, holding me in my sadness.  I never thought I could live without my dad, and then after losing him, I never thought I could live without Joe (crazy thing is, I told him that his last week here 'I need you even more since I don't have my dad'), but I can because I have God.  He is a father to the fatherless, which is me and my baby, and he is a protector of widows, which is me and my mom.  I miss them both so much and am so thankful that my mom, sisters, and I are going to be together all afternoon, hanging out and then having a nice supper - and may even see some of dad's siblings and my grandparents later.

inspirational scripture for times of sorrow

Psalm 34:18 ~ "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted, he rescues those whose spirits are crushed."
Psalm 147:3 ~ "He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds."
Psalm 46:1 ~ "God is our refuge and strength, and ever-present help in trouble."
Matthew 5:4 ~ "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."

...turn your scars into stars...

2 comments:

  1. Thinking and praying for all of you today and always. You truly are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I never got the chance to meet your Dad. It sounds like he was so full of light. I know Joe really adored and loved him. I've always thought it was so cute the way Joe held the microphone...the little wrist up action...I also regret never hearing Joe sing. Perhaps someday if you happen to have him on video I'd love to see it. Saying prayers for you all before lights out. Bless and take care of you and sweet pea!

    ReplyDelete